Tuesday, January 12, 2010

So..........

so.... sigh.... you should have seen this coming.....

Weight Watchers.

I did Weight Watchers about 6 years ago with lots of success. Unfortunately, I am back again. One of the things I love about WW is eating real food and still being able to cook.

So - here was dinner last night and lunch today. It was frankly better today at lunch - next time I will TRY to make the teriyaki sauce a day ahead.

Chicken Teriyaki with Rice and Veggies

Sauce:
½ t canola oil
1 cup water
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 T rice wine vinegar
1-2 crushed cloves of garlic
1 t crushed ginger
couple shakes hot pepper flakes
3 T brown sugar
1 T honey
1/4 cup water
2 T corn starch

Heat oil and add in garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes. Add in everything else except 1/4 cup water and corn starch. Let simmer while you cook the chicken and veggies.

20 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 bag "stir fry" veggies - frozen (make sure to get them with NO noodles)
1 onion
1 t canola

Slice onion and brown in oil. Add in chicken and get a nice sear on both sides. Add in some water or stock if it seems dry. When chicken is almost cooked - add in veggies and cook until they are hot and the chicken is done. Add about 1/4 cup of the sauce and heat through.

Serve with rice. I would have made brown rice but everyone refuses to eat it but me. So I suck it up and eat white. I made 1 ½ cups of uncooked rice. Not sure how much that ended up being when it was cooked

This a was a GREAT dinner, very filling and satisfying. I managed to get it on the table well before I had to leave at 6:30 for PTA. Did I wish I had fresh veggies? Yes - but it's January and a weeknight.

Three of us ate dinner from this and I was able to make three nice 8 point lunches with the leftovers. It was even better today at lunch. Sometimes i make the mistake of not eating enough at lunch - but this was perfect. Very filling and I think it would have been fine too with a little less rice. This was SO easy and beats those frozen dinners with a stick!

No comments: