Sunday, September 21, 2008

Isn't This What EVERYONE Does With Their Saturday?

Yesterday I bought 5 lbs of ground sirloin. HOW FUN!

I made:

Meatballs
2 lbs. ground sirloin
1 large chopped onion
2 cloves pressed garlic
1/2 t red pepper flakes
1 T Italian seasoning
salt
pepper
1/4 cup milk
1 cup bread crumbs (I threw some pieces of almost stale french bread into the blender)
2 eggs

Mix well and form into balls. I baked mine this time b/c the stovetop was full. This made approx. 70 meatballs.

Chili
1 1/2-ish lbs ground sirloin
1 large onion chopped
3 pressed cloves garlic
3 stalks celery chopped
1 large can crushed tomatoes
1 large can whole tomatoes
3 cans of beer
1/4+ cup chili powder
1 can kidney beans (I would have put in another if I had one on hand!)

Brown meat with onion, garlic & celery. Drain any grease.

Add everything into dutch oven and simmer the heck out of it for 3+ hours. Mash whole tomatoes with potato masher after 2 hours.

We eat Cincinnati style - spaghetti, grate super sharp cheddar, crackers. Maya just has the pasta and cheese!

Empanadas
1 1/2-ish lbs ground sirloin
1 large onion chopped
3 pressed cloves garlic
3 stalks celery chopped
2 T chili powder
1/3 cup dried fruit - I had cranberries. You could also use raisins
Shredded sharp cheddar
refrigerated biscuit dough

Brown first 4 ingredients. I actually did the chili meat and the empanada meat together.

Add chili powder and cranberries.

Fancy way (for when the queen comes to dinner) roll out rounds of biscuit dough. Place small amount of meat and cheese and fold over. Seal with fork. I did about 10 of these, got bored and placed the rest of the biscuit dough (I used almost all of 4 small cylinders) into muffin tins (the tin I used is somewhere between mini & regular sized). Smash meat mixture with fingers. Top with cheese. Bake @ 350 for about 20 minutes. I had 10 regular and about 24 muffins. We ate the regular and I froze the muffins.

Now I have a bunch of meals in the freezer! Yay for me!!!

No comments: