This is what I think of when someone says "Potato Salad". My mom is a good cook with some core recipes - this is one. She didn't really learn to cook as a child and didn't have the time raising the three of us, working (usually FT) and getting her masters when I was in high school (ahem - ALL A's!) My dad came later in life to cooking as well. With the scientific things (like perfect eggs), he is the master!
Marjie’s Potato Salad
5 large Yukon gold potatoes (or your preference) scrubbed well
2 T salt for boiling water
½ Vidalia onion very finely minced
3-4 stalks celery finely chopped
¼ to ½ c. dry white wine
2 T butter or margarine
½ - 1 cup mayonnaise (I use Hellman's Olive Oil mayo lately)
3-4 hard boiled eggs, sliced
Paprika to garnish
1. Bring large pot of water to boil and salt liberally. Chop potatoes into large chunks and cook on a low boil until a fork slides into one easily.
2. Drain potatoes, place in large bowl, and immediately (while the potatoes are HOT) dot with butter and sprinkle wine over them. Let wine and butter soak in.
3. Add rest of ingredients in bowl and mix well – taking care not to mash the potatoes. Add ½ cup mayo and see if it’s wet enough. If not – add ¼ cup at a time until it’s how you like.
4. Sprinkle with paprika if the queen is coming to dinner. You can also save one egg and scatter the slices atop the salad & then you will be very fancy.
5. Serve hot if you like (we do), warm or chilled.
Paul’s Hard Boiled Eggs
Put eggs in cold water and bring to a boil. Let boil about 1 minute and then turn off heat. Let sit in pot on burner for 15 minutes. Douse eggs with cold water and peel. These will be beautiful (no green ring) every time.
And no, Linda, probably not too points-friendly. Sorry!